Thursday 27 March 2014

The hatter bit his teacup

The hatter bit his teacup, an illustration by John Vernon Lord in Lewis Carroll's 
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Artists' Choice Editions, 2009.

The text:

 'Take off your hat,' the King said to the Hatter.

 'It isn't mine,' said the Hatter.

'Stolen!' the King exclaimed, turning to the jury, who instantly made
a memorandum of the fact.

 'I keep them to sell,' the Hatter added as an explanation; 'I've none
of my own. I'm a hatter.'

Here the Queen put on her spectacles, and began staring at the
Hatter, who turned pale and fidgeted.

'Give your evidence,' said the King; 'and don't be nervous, or I'll
have you executed on the spot.'

This did not seem to encourage the witness at all: he kept shifting
from one foot to the other, looking uneasily at the Queen, and in his
confusion he bit a large piece out of his teacup instead of the bread-
and-butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment