Sunday 2 March 2014

Bill the Lizard is kicked up the chimney by Alice


Bill the Lizard is kicked up the chimney by Alice, an illustration by John Vernon Lord in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Artists' Choice Editions, 2008.

The text:

 Who's to go down the chimney? -- Nay, I
shan't! YOU do it! -- That I won't, then! -- Bill's to go down -- Here,
Bill! the master says you're to go down the chimney!'

 'Oh! So Bill's got to come down the chimney, has he?' said Alice to
herself. 'Shy, they seem to put everything upon Bill! I wouldn't be
in Bill's place for a good deal: this fireplace is narrow, to be sure;
but I THINK I can kick a little!'

She[Alice] drew her foot as far down the chimney as she could, and waited
till she heard a little animal (she couldn't guess of what sort it was)
scratching and scrambling about in the chimney close above her:
then, saying to herself 'This is Bill,' she gave one sharp kick, and
waited to see what would happen next.

The first thing she heard was a general chorus of 'There goes Bill!'
then the Rabbit's voice along -- 'Catch him, you by the hedge!' then
silence, and then another confusion of voices -- 'Hold up his head --
Brandy now -- Don't choke him -- How was it, old fellow? What
happened to you? Tell us all about it!'

Last came a little feeble, squeaking voice, ('That's Bill,' thought
Alice,) 'Well, I hardly know -- No more, thank ye; I'm better now --
but I'm a deal too flustered to tell you -- all I know is, something
comes at me like a Jack-in-the-box, and up I goes like a sky-rocket!'

1 comment: