Monday 13 May 2013

Fishes in bed and Humpty Dumpty with a corkscrew





Fishes in bed and Humpty Dumpty with a corkscrew - 
two illustrations by JVL in Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There
Artists' Choice Editions, 2011, pages 77 and 104




The episode in the text:

Then some one came to me and said, 
"The little fishes are in bed."

I said to him, I said it plain, 
"Then you must wake them up again."

I said it very loud and clear; 
I went and shouted in his ear.'

'But he was very stiff and proud; 
He said "You needn't shout so loud!"

And he was very proud and stiff; 
He said "I'd go and wake them, if -- "

I took a corkscrew from the shelf: 
I went to wake them up myself.

And when I found the door was locked, 
I pulled and pushed and kicked and knocked.

And when I found the door was shut, 
I tried to turn the handle, but -- '





No comments:

Post a Comment